Monday, April 23, 2012

Visiting Ilocos

My last visit to Ilocos, if I am not mistaken was almost 2 decades ago. It was a relatives wedding.

I can vaguely remember how everybody looks like so when my sister-in-law decided to have a road trip to Ilocos, I thought, it is time to visit my relatives and show my companions where I once used to play.


Everybody was so welcoming. Lolo Lario, Lola Imay, Lola Julia and Inang Maria (my father's mother) were there. My Mama and Papa were there too. They traveled all the way from Cagayan Valley to join us. My father's cousins gladly welcomed us even if they do not know my companion. They prepared dinner for us. They cooked calderetang kambing (goat), papaitan and kilawin (kambing). I was not able to take a picture because we were so busy eating.

We spent the night at Lola Laring's house. She was so warm and even stayed up late just to have a chat with us. I can still remember her old house. It was made of wood. But it's all different now. Her house is now modern. It's huge and was built with modern materials.

I was telling my sister-in-law how they "cook" tobacco using a pugon made of soil and hay and we were lucky enough to see one in Napo Magsingal, Ilocos Sur. We took pictures of it.

Pugon

Tobacco inside the pugon



We also saw bamboo bridges. I used to cross this kind of bridge when I was young. We use to roam around not minding even if it is 12 noon and the sun is burning.


Now it is my daughter's turn. She was scared of course but at least she experienced crossing such bridge and she can share stories about the bridge and her whole experience in Ilocos.

No comments:

Post a Comment